With the longer daylight hours comes a great opportunity for residential landlords to organise a general check of their property. As well as the usual internal check of the property, a general exterior check is also highly advisable. Here is a list of a few items that should be considered on such a check:
- Check the weather forecast to ensure good weather on the day.
- Check chimney stack and roof for areas in need of repair.
- Guttering and drainage. Clear debris and leaves, fix any leaks and ensure draining properly.
- Assess brickwork and repair, or repoint.
- Check trees and arrange a tree surgeon to trim to avoid telephone or power lines.
- Property boarder fencing and walls to be inspected and repaired. Check also that gates close properly and any gate locks are still functioning.
Also, remember to give the tenant at least 24 hours notice if you intend to carry out works that are non-emergency.
Arranging these sort of works while there are longer and dryer days will be easier than having to conduct repair jobs with limited daylight hours in Autumn/Winter.